Updated 8/2/2020 – All of the “Ordered” parts have been delivered. I have also been following Nick Ellson post regarding cable chain management. I have downloaded his STL’s and will take a look soon. I have also reviewed all of the documentation on the Grbl_ESP32 MPCNC controller. Wow, a lot there. I am also looking at the closed loop stepper controllers from BigTreeTech. I am thinking I want to use them. If all goes well, assembly will start today. I have to pick up a few sheets of 4’x4’x3/4″ MDF to mount this on. The torson table will come later.
Update 7/24/2020 – All of the printed parts are finished. I have also received most of the ordered parts. I am still waiting on the electronics and the belts. Depending on the weekend activities, I am going to go pick up the MDF to mount this on. I am not going to build the table until I have this thing working. I have also been looking at the GCode sender and I think I am going with CNC.js on a Raspberry Pi 4. I want to build a cabinet, using DIN rails and power supply for the equipment. One other item has been how bad the end cuts are on the stainless steel tubing I bought. I used a Dewalt conduit reamer to clean up the edges. It does not work well with stainless. Ripped the one inch round right off the tool. I am going to use a file and see about putting a cap on each end. The ones that I found on Thingiverse, are not for this OD/ID tube. I will design and print something when I get the machine put together.
Update 7/22/2020 – The printer finished the core module and I have a few small pieces to print. I have reviewed the parts list and have ordered the parts that I am missing. I have received the Polished Stainless Steel tube as well. Turns out that the belt is one of the more difficult items to get a hold of outside of ordering it from Ryan. Amazon did not have a lot of options in the 10mm width that was fiberglass reinforced. In checking on the electronics that I had from the original purchase, it turns out that Ryan is no longer providing a RAMPs implementation of Marlin for MPCNC. That is what I had in mind for this all along. I am going with the GRBL_ESP32 from Bart Dring. I was thinking about going the GRBL path, but this sealed the deal. I am not in love with buying a board that comes from Ultimaker. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I think it will be solid in the end. I am starting to work on the final cost of all of the parts and whatnot. I am not sure that the machine is going to cost less than <$500. I think it might be just a bit more. The machine might not cost this much, but everything involved will be a lot more.
I have one more batch of printing to do and I will hopefully get to that tomorrow 7/10. I will update the list below as I go. There was a lot of discussion in the V1 forum regarding the % of the core module. I did split the printing process in S3D at 24mm and 116mm and made the middle 30% and the top and bottom at 70% as Ryan recommended.
I have started to go through the parts that I have that I have never used and ordering what I need. I decided that initially I am just going to mount the whole thing to a 3/4″x4’x4′ board on the floor in my basement. I need to get all of the bits put together and get the electronics working. I will worry about the final square and whatnot when I build the torsion table. Like I said in the initial entries below, I am starting with Marlin, and am going to use RAMPS hardware initially. I am really interested in the Grbl_ESP32 MPCNC controller. That is down the line.
The beginning (7/8/2020) – Building an MPCNC has been on the plate for a long time. Like a year and a half. I am interested in understanding how to do CNC work. This will be the start. When I go into 3D printing, that was the purpose; just learning. Eventually, I would like to get a small Grizzly and do a CNC conversion.
I had completed printing all of the “burly” parts and they just sat in the box. I even had all off the motors, router, electronics, etc. When the Primo came out, I tossed out the plastic parts that I had already printed and started again. My poor printer. I have gone through two spools of filament and working on the third. The core module, which is printing now, has started and failed 4 times. 2 power failures, 1 nozzle that literally died under the stress of the amount of filament being pushed through it (70% infill), and a burned out heater cartridge. I have most of the parts, outside of the plastic, that is printing now. Below is the status as as of today. I have ordered the 1″ (25.4mm) 304 polished stainless steel from Metals Depot. The over all dimensions are going to be a working space of 24″ x 24″ x 4″. I am going to lift the spoil board to get closer to 3.5″ high. I am going to start with Marlin, but I want to go with GRBL and then on to Mach3/4.
Printed parts list with status
|2||Corner Bottom Mirrored||Printed|
|2||Corner Top Mirrored||Printed|
|2||Lower Belt Mirrored||Printed|
|2||Upper Belt Mirrored||Printed|
|4||Corner Leg Lock||Printed|
|4||Stop Block (Dual only)||Printed|
|1||Upper Tool Plate||Printed|
|1||Lower Tool Plate||Printed|
|2||Core Z Clamp 1||Printed|
|2||Core Z Clamp 2||Printed|
|1||660 Top Clamp||Printed|
|1||660 Top Mount||Printed|
|1||660 Bottom Clamp||Printed|
|1||660 Bottom Mount||Printed|
|Nema 17 50OZ/in+||5||Had|
|* Belt GT2 10mm||4||Received|
|Pulley 16t gt2 10mm||4||Received|
|Idler 20t gt2 10mm||8||Received|
|Power Supply||1||Not sure|
|5mm to 8mm Coupler||1||Had|
|M5x30mm Phillips Pan Head Screws||65||Received|
|M2.5x12mm Phillips Pan Head Screws||10||Received|
|Grbl_ESP32 MPCNC CNC Controller Ver 1.2.2||1||Received|
|Raspberry Pi 4B||1|
Also, I am working on a design for a torsion box cabinet for it. This will live in my garage, and be enclosed with a vacuum system.
I want to be able to cut wood, aluminum, and plexiglass. All lightweight items. I know that Ryan has been able to cut steel with the new design, however that is a bit more than I want to do.